Good, Bad, I haven't met the movie I can't watch.

Friday, November 21, 2008

An Adult Superman Cartoon?

Directors- Lauren Montgomery, Bruce Timm, Brandon Vietti
Starring- Adam Baldwin, Anne Hesche, James Martsters

This was a severely condensed and revised version of the Death of Superman story arc from DC Comics. It starts out on a fairly familar note, detailing Doomsday's birthing from the bowels of his earth prison. It moves on quickly to his collosal battle with Superman that left both of them dead. In the aftermath, Superman appears to have reemerged, but with a sinister edge. People realize something is seriously wrong when Supes actually resorts to killing in the name of justice.

I was terribly conflicted while watching this. When I realized there was actual violence and bad language, I was hooked, couldn't take my eyes off it. But then, I started seeing the changes. The final punch that killed them both was changed. There was no Justice League coming in to pay their respects. I hoped to see 4 different Supermen like in the comics, but no, it was a stupid Luthor clone, and instead of being revived by Metallo (?), he was revived by a helper robot.

I really do love a cartoon that can go into that dark place (Bruce TImm needs to do a Batman cartoon like this), but I just can't reconcile the complete revision of the storyline.

Rating: 3/5 Bonedaddies.




No comments: