Good, Bad, I haven't met the movie I can't watch.

Friday, March 20, 2009

Kooky But Creepy, a Good "Silent Slasher"-Type Flick

The House By the Cemetery (1981)
Director- Lucio Fulci
Starring- Catriona MacColl, Paolo Malco, Giovanni Frezza

A family moves into a house, the basement of which is inhabited by a demonic killer who uses the bodies of his victims to rejuvinate his own cells.

I have to say that the Halloweeny 1980's synth music is hypnotic. It sounds as good as it sounds bad, and it's impossible to stop listening to during the opening sequences. In that same vein, the movie itself is mostly a little silly-looking. The styles, the acting, it's all a little hit/miss. That's okay, though, because the creepy killer element comes alive during the shots of the basement killer, slowly stepping up the steps toward whoever gets themselves locked on the wrong side of the door.

Without giving too much away, I was surprised to see him kill characters I honestly didn't think would die. That's mediterranean horror for you, keeps you thinking. The ending becomes stressful to watch, then morphs into a completely bizarre but happy (I guess?) conclusion.

I was pleasantly surprised by the movie in spite of all the bad things about it.

Rating: 4/5 Bonedaddies.


No comments: